I suggest ...

Make OpenID reliance a prerequisite for provision

The "support" for OpenID as a movement by net institutions like Yahoo, Google, Facebook, AOL, etc seems disingenuous and self-serving to me. They'd each like the entire online lives of their users to revolve around their brand. Becoming an OpenID provider clearly furthers that. Becoming a relier (i.e. relying party), on the other hand, requires some degree of acceptance that their users don't want to be "owned" by them and that they won't be won over by marketing. (If only people could/would demand that the corporations they patronize act with at least as much emotional maturity as they themselves do. :-p)

Unless being a relier is made an explicit prerequisite for being a provider, I wouldn't bet on Google accepting Yahoo OpenIDs or vice-versa any time soon. I imagine a concern is that a requirement like this might discourage adoption of OpenID at all by some of the largest sites. But given OpenID's "selling" feature to end-users (unified identity), of what use is getting it accepted (on paper) sooner if in the process you compromise the practical ability of end-users to have only one of them!?

The big boys might have a staring contest for a while, but eventually they'll make back-room deals with one another. Make 'em use that game theory they learned about in B-school.

13 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Terry shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ALEX FERREIRA CABRAL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

URGENTE PRECISO DE AJUDA FAZ TEMPO VENHO RECLAMANDO MAS ESSA RAÇA PRECISA DE IR PELO MENOS PARA CADEIA..A REDE ESTA NAS MÃOS ERRADAS ME AJUDEM PELO AMOR DE DEUS...ALEX FERREIRA CABRALid3460132 MICROSOFT CORP°

• ALEX FERREIRA CABRAL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OUTRO SAFADO É O LUIZ MONTEIRO DA OFICINA ESSE LAGARTO FICA DE CONTEÇÃO O CARTEIRO ENTREGA CARTAS PARA MIM ELE ROUBA MINHA MÃE NO TRABALHO É UM FILHO DA PT MESMO ESSE QUEM TIROU O FREIO DE MINHA MOTO UNICO MECANICO PROXIMO POR ISSO QUEBREI A PERNA ESSE MESMO PASSOU A DORMIR EM CASA DANDO UM DE NAMORADINHO DA MINHA MÃE RESUMINDO ESTÃO COMPRANDO CASAS NA RUA COM MEU DINHEIRO QUE RECEBEM APARTIR DE FALSAIDADES 171 EXTELIONATALIOS ESTRUPADORES SEM VERGONHA...

• lohith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i like it and and was keen intested in giving the chance to many people who are tallented .my concept is that asking I.Q. questions online on the web www.adhrushtham.hpage.com.for that where the participents get the chance of playing in t.v programme adhrushtham which was irected by OMKAR.I will tell to him ,i request him you to, participate in this show

Feedback and Knowledge Base