Ideas

We want your OpenID Ideas! Think you’ve come up with a way to improve OpenID? Recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!

1. Restructuring the Library-Page

I like to add OpenID-support to my website with PHP and MySQL. However, my provider doesn't support PEAR DB, so I can't use janrain "PHP OpenID Library". I miss something like "Requirements" in the Library-Page (http://openid.net/developers/libraries/)

EasyOpenID is based on janrain, which might also be interesting and should be mentioned in this section.

By the way, http://www.saeven.net/openid.htm ends in a 404 error.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Merging OpenID data

I have more than one OpenID. Some of the data is common across the OpenID providers, but some is different. Is there a way to merge the data from multiple OpenID accounts into one master account?

74 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    26 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There’s nothing in the OpenID protocol that would really allow this, especially from the data side of things. Unlike, say, credit cards, where you can transfer your balance between different providers, data transfer between different OPs requires a bit more leg work.

What kind of data are you talking about?

3. openid.net - MD5 SSL cert?

https://openid.net/ really shouldn't be using an MD5-hashed cert months after Sotirov presented his research demonstrating the flaws. Perhaps SHA-1 with an eye to moving to SHA-2 as soon as practical and SHA-3 as soon as it's finalized.

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. ABOUT GOOGLE ID'S

I wish that you could be a little more like yahoo with the id.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. OpenID on Google, AOL, Yahoo not really OpenID

As a supporter and user of OpenID, I have a hard time explaining how Google, Yahoo, AOL and other "openID providers" are really involved.

A search of their sites does not reveal any useful explanation. They're merely using their login procedures as an OpenID token. Their login boxes don't look, act, feel, or represent the user--they represent the company (Goog, AOL, etc.) Those sites are not promoting OpenID in any clear way.

People want to use existing accounts, but these companies are creating tremendous confusion by hiding. What's up with that?

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    22 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Scheduled Login Access

In the openID profile a user should be able to setup a schedule when the ID can be used. If I know I only ever browse the web between 10pm and 11pm then the rest of the day my id will not work.

Of course loggin into the openid website itself should be an exception.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. failed to discover server openID

openiddiscoveryfailed OpenID error: failed to discover server what must I do to fix them?

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. create openID

i should be able to create an openID without a preexisting account google, FB, yahoo etc.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Encourage OpenID websites to offer non-OpenID alternatives

OpenID might be OK for some, but every time I see a website that uses OpenID, it says to me: "Give up now, you ain't gonna be able to log in here.". Passwords are better, 'cos they are simpler, everyone understands them, and there are existing mechanisms to manage them. I just tried logging into stackoverflow with my OpenID and ended up creating a new user. I'm not saying get rid of OpenID, just that it makes things slower and more complicated, and is hard to understand, so a traditional password alternative should be a good fallback. Here is an…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. OpenID.net is confusing

I only just signed up for my OpenID and I'm having difficulty accessing OpenID.net to manage my account as well as signing in via OpenID on other sites to assist in elevating awareness of OpenID. One example of this - not five minutes ago I attempted to log in to my OpenID account page and was taken to Google Apps??? Where I was informed I had incorectly logged in? I was a little startled. You will need to mend the bugs in the OpenID web presence before you can set the standard for OpenID on the web. As it is…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Secure OpenID Providers

There is now a severe lack of secure OpenID providers. It was the case you could rely on myVidoop with their innovative Image CAPTCHA login, they practically went out of business, were bought over and fate of the service is unknown. Then there was myOpenID.com, they offered security with their SSL certificate login, now their SSL certificate service is broken this past year and they are showing no interest in fixing it. So we only have Verisign PIP left.

All the other providers rely on a simple username and password to login. This is not great security for a service…

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Two way othentication system

Open Id is a great concept and I like to use it in day to day life but security is a critical issue here. I think password is not enough to protection We need two way authentication system which is free to everyone and easy to deploy in servers.

For that We can create a software that we need to install it to the USB flash drive and whenever we need to login we have to use that USB drive which having a software which will authenticate the process Its like a debit card that we using in ATM where…

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. No Openid example

There are no examples of what a person would enter in the openid textbox at RPs. The documentation was disappointing in that it tells at length about the openid protocol and what not, but a few sample openids to link it all together would have been a great help in understanding. I had a feeling that I am none the better after reading through the whole spec. I still didnt know how to "start" using it.

After all, which non technical internet user would expect to enter http://yahoo.com as his/her openid in the openid textbox?

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Error on 'Get an OpenID' page: YIID no longer!

Yiid is not an openid provider anymore! It should not be listed on the get an openid page!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. OK, I clicked on "Get an OpenID", and I wound up on a page with lots of logos, but no place where I

OK, I clicked on "Get an OpenID, but I wound up on a web page where I saw lots of logos, but no place where I could "Get an OpenID".

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Do NOT "anchor" Feedback button to view. Use a regular page button so that it moves w/the page!

Having that FEEDBACK button moving independently of the page is the same thing as a pop-up ad and just as annoying, Please put the feedback button in the regular part of the page. We are already working on browser plugins/extensions the will block all these new style pop-ups and the initial feedback to them is that people really like the idea of being able to prevent these and the "roll-over" style javascript popups. Even though these aren't advertisements, the pop-ups and "view anchored" windows interfere with peoples use and enjoyments of a web page just like pop-ups do.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Site-only registration to be kept as an alternative

Despite the benefits you list, not every web user will want to use Open ID. Will your "best practice" include a recommendation that participating websites always include direct registration as an alternative option?

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Ideas

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base