My idea is ...

Open ID Login URL? - Not clear on website

I was exploring the features and benefits of the "Intense Debate" plugin for Wordpress, and was prompted to sign into Open ID by providing my Open ID URL.

I have a Google Account, but have never been directly asked for my Open ID account. This lead me to the Open ID website, at which point I thought the information would be clearly indicated on the "Get an Open ID" or "start using your Open ID" page. Instead, it was a bunch irrelevant information about how I already have an account, with links to useless links like Google and Yahoo's landing page.

The answer to the question, "where do I get an Open ID URL" for basic login is unfortunately difficult to find on the current website, if it's even there (I have yet to find it).

If Open ID is to succeed in achieving mass adoption, surely the basics like providing a website that provides basic information like how to obtain an account and sign in are of the utmost importance. I consider myself to be quite computer literate and I'm frustrated beyond belief, so I can just imagine what a non starter this would be for incorporating into a website and asking people like my parents to try and obtain this new account and throw them in a complete loop trying to figure out where they go to get it.

Thanks.

431 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  AdminChris Messina (Admin, OpenID) responded  · 

This is a fair criticism and something that we want to address as we continue to make improvements to our newly relaunched website. It has a long way to go still, and this kind of feedback is very helpful in directing our attention. Thanks — and sorry to hear about your frustration.

125 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...