My idea is ...

Why is this feedback button obstructing text on the 'getting started' page?

24 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • George Humphrey.George Humphrey. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Chris, each browser tries to display the page text to the best of its own implementation's abilities.

The problem is an item that is anchored to the browser's windows instead of anchored to the page inside the windows, will always appear to move on its own, separate from the page. That independent movement, not moving with the page, forces the person's eye off what they are trying to look at and onto that button. This is very disruptive to the reader. Its just like a pop-up window and people are going to complain about them until they become a normal part of the page again, or until they get a browser extension that prevents them from being displayed. Just get rid of its pop-up-like properties. Make it a normal part of the page and people won't mind it.

Until then, they will continue to be hated.

Also note - having a small screen is not a bug. Nor is it anything the user is likely to be able to change. Having a web page that has a fixed width? Thats a Bug! The fix? insert a fencepost sideways into the mouth of the web page author who decided to use a fixed width. That way they will begin to intuitively understand WHY you don't use fixed widths for web pages. Fixed widths prevent the browser from formatting the page for local display requirements, which is pretty much the reason for having browsers in the first place. The client side (the browser) is supposed to be in charge of deciding how to display the page.

Chris - why would you think its OK to design a web page that can't be viewed properly on a small screen? The whole design and intent of the idea of having browsers and web pages is so that it doesn't matter what your local device or browser is. Web pages are supposed to be device independent! They should never have an fixed physical attributes, except for the occasional 2 or 3 pixel borderline.

• bvirklerbvirkler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me the feedback button is pinned to the left side of the window. Unless my browser is maximized it covers some of the text. Can't you move it to the right side?

Feedback and Knowledge Base